Grinders, or tools that use abrasive / grinding wheels and discs, are commonly used in many worksites on board. It is important to note that rotating grinding wheels and cutting discs can break which leads to injuries.
To prevent injuries from using grinders, follow these safe work practices:
What NOT TO DO when using grinders:
- DON’T modify, alter, or remove the manufacturer’s guard.
- DON’T use a wheel that has been dropped.
- DON’T use a wheel or disc that does not fit properly to the spindle or guards.
- DON’T use excessive force to tighten the nut of the wheel. The force can crack the wheel.
- DON’T leave grinding wheels or discs lying on workbenches or other surfaces unprotected from impact damage.
- DON’T use cutting discs for grinding, or grinding discs for cutting
What TO DO when using grinders:
- Ensure electrical connection is properly secured.
- Test power switch ON/OFF before operation.
Check before grinding disc lock is well secured before operation.
- SMS S-0504 section 8.1 & 8.2
- Code of Safe working practices for Merchant Seaman Chapter 1 & 2.
- GB Lesson From Incident (LFI) 01/2016 & Training Poster 02/2018